Monday 5 August 2013

When to purchase a console

The PS4 and Xbox One (deliberately in that order) will be released before the end of the year, and it has been sometime since we have seen a generational shift in consoles (Wii U remains on par with Xbox 360 and PS3 in my opinion). So, am I going to buy them? Yes. This year? No.

There are very few launch games that stand up to hindsight. So, I didn't want to be sucked-in. I did my research, and it is usually the second Christmas after a consoles release that the good games start to appear. Also, after the initial launch, there is usually a vacuum until the next Christmas anyway. So why buy it straight-away? You can catch-up on the 2-3 must-have titles that you missed from the first year of the console's life. You can get a better bundle. All the kinks in the OS have been ironed-out and you're getting the first true next-gen games. Christmas 2014 will be PS4 and Xbox One time in Tim Town.

The Wii U? Well, let's just wait until it has at least 5 must-have games, and maybe a price drop... Poor Wii U...

This brings me onto gaming PCs. Is this something I want? Yes. Is it something I can justify? No. I have a Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and a pile of shame 30+ games deep. I have a MacBook, which I can use on my lap, sitting next to my wife and to check mails and browse the web. A gaming PC, would put me in the spare room, by myself, and would cost me upwards of $1000 - $1500. It will be out-of-date in 4 years and not to mention the driver issues. I always said to myself I would buy a gaming PC when Starcraft 2 came out, that came and went, then it was Diablo 3, and my wife even encouraged me to, but I just can't justify it. The massive savings I would make during a Steam sale would not offset the hardware price.

As a side note, I was able to finish Starcraft 2 on my friend's PC, and now Diablo 3 is coming out on consoles. You can't imagine how happy I was when they announced that.

Cheers

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment